The Victoria Family Court and Youth Justice Committee meets on the unceded Coast Salish Territory of the Lekwungen-speaking and WSÁNEĆ nations. We acknowledge and thank the Lekwungen-speaking peoples, also known as the Songhees, Esquimalt and Beecher Bay First Nations communities for allowing us to live on their lands.
The VFCYJC further acknowledges that the capital region spans the Traditional Territories of Coast and Straits Salish and Nuu-chah-nulth peoples and that, by virtue of being represented by all 13 municipalities, our committee is responsible to help build respectful and enduring relationships with our First Nations neighbours.
6 hours ago
We are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of the Honourable Ted Hughes, who leaves behind wife Helen, a long-serving and recently retired member of our committee, three sons and eight grandchildren. Our deepest condolences to Helen and family for your loss.
"The Mighty Hughes", thus named by his biographer in the 2017 biography by the same name, leaves behind an incomparable legacy. Some highlights:
* As Chief Adjudicator, negotiated compensation for residential school survivors
* BC's first Conflict of Interest Commissioner
* A BC Deputy Attorney General
* Over-hauled BC's child welfare system
* Instrumental in studying and reporting on gender bias in the justice system and legal profession (Law Society of BC)
* Chaired a 97-98 Justice Reform Committee that led to significant changes to BC's judicial structure.
* Recipient of Order of Canada and numerous honorary degrees
* First Co-Chair of the Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness
Together with wife Helen, former Victoria city councillor and companion activist and advocate, Ted was also heavily involved in service organizations in Greater Victoria.
A service is being planned by family and will be held at St. John the Divine Anglican Church. ...
JAN 15 AGM CANCELLED: Due to the HEAVY SNOWFALL WARNING for tonight, we have postponed our AGM ( and regular monthly meeting) until next month. Stay safe everyone.